Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Different Perspectives

A few weeks ago while on the bus I had the opportunity to become acquainted with an Israeli living here in the U.S. After our initial encounter, we have had the chance to discuss several more times. During one of the conversations we were talking about a recent project in one of my classes where I was assigned to study the group Hamas. When this came up he proceeded to tell me of some of his Israeli experiences with the group, and of some of the crimes they commit that are so infrequently reported by the media. He told me of the media's bias in favor of Hamas.
A few days ago I was sitting in my class while we were going over the conflict between the Palestinians and the Israelis. In the row just behind me was an international student who has the habit of mumbling his opinions throughout the class time. The teacher was discussing the wrongs committed by the different parties involved in the conflict, and was doing a fair job of making sure everyone was assigned blame where it was due and making it clear that no party was clean in the affair. But every time the teacher said anything that was in favor of Israel on a certain point the student would mumble some more. The student seemed to be, from what I could divine from his mumbling, under the impression that the class was going easy on Israel and that it was biased towards them in the conflict.
After listening to the two students, and after having the discussions of media bias in a number of my courses, I found it somewhat amusing to find this real life example of different perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment