Monday, November 23, 2009

The real G.I. Joes


During class a few weeks back we discussed war coverage by the media and as a class debated whether the media has changed its style of coverage of being in a sense more pro-war by covering victories and heroes to become more anti-war and coving the defeats and deaths. When the issue of war coverage is raised I understand why many journalists chose to write negative articles about it because there are many tragedies that come with war, I do however worry that at many times it is not the politicians who are affected from this form of coverage but the men and women actually fighting the battle. I will always remember when my brother came home after serving months in Afghanistan, my family all gathered around him as he spoke about his war experiences and the things he witnessed. He seemed to speak about the heroic things he and his fellow soldiers did for each other and for others around them, he also spoke more on the positive things he experienced than the negative. I was very confused on how someone could have had positive experiences participating in something so evil (I was easily influenced by the media at this age) and it bothered me to think my brother enjoyed certain aspects of his time at war. I remember trying to change his attitude toward the war by explaining all the horrible things I had heard about it and his reaction to my attempt was unforgettable, all my brother did was turn to me and say, “I don’t care if you believe in the war or if you agree with it but believe in the troops and support them no matter what, never lose sight of the guys in the trenches and always be thankful for what they did and do for you.” The look in his eyes and the tone in his voice was enough to help me understand that many of the soldiers knew support for the war was low and this negativity carried over into the soldiers’ feelings of self worth and accomplishment there. This moment has forever changed my view of war, I am not saying I support war but I am saying I will always be more aware of the affect my voice has on those who fight the war and I believe the media should do the same. Why can’t the media highlight the soldiers more? Why can’t the media cover their bravery and individual acts of courage more? I know there is a way where media can keep covering the negative aspects of war but still cast a continual positive light over the men and women serving in it. We have to remember these men and women who join the military are not the ones who decide when we fight a war they are only the ones willing to fight when called upon and to me this makes them heroes, heroes who should get proper credit for their bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment